Observations on life & art and the inspirations I see around me

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Taking a page......

A few years ago when I first met Deborah Boschert I knew immediately that she was someone special.  Over the years I was often been amazed by her maturity -  to someone my age she's "just a kid" but boy do I wish I'd been as wise at her age.  She has talent galore and an incredibly giving spirit. I felt sad when she left Texas but she's still teaching me when I slow down to remember. Today I took a page from her book and worked small & quick on 2 project whose deadlines are looming. I wanted to do these and I'd put them off to the last minute.  Thanks Deborah for giving me a kick. 

#1 is "On a Wing - Say a Prayer".  It is a collage on nicho frame from Ten Seconds Studio. and will be part of their Auction for Breast Cancer.  I hope I won't get in trouble for posting it early but I figure publicity is good.  Go to their site for details coming soon.  

Project #2 is "Coins of the Realm" a small art quilt for C&T Publishing's Call-Out for Liquitex Acrylic Metallic Inks.  I did the background fabric in plenty of time but wasn't entirely happy with the results of a resist of flour paste (I will try again).  The problem was the white ink didn't show up as much as I'd like.  We only got 3 colors to work with and I knew I wanted the metallics for the elements.  On those I did stamping & stenciling with bronze & copper.  This is a favorite technique of Deborah's and also, Rayma Gillman, another inspiring lady.  If you don't have her book "creating your own hand-printed cloth" it's definitely worth the price. 

It feels good to be on a bit of a roll but studio time will get interupted once again on Thurs. as we're heading to northern New Mexico to cool off for a few days.  I do expect to get inspired there so I'll take my journal and do "a page" of a different sort. 

Happy creating; remember lessons learned and thank your teachers. 

No comments: