Observations on life & art and the inspirations I see around me

Friday, June 18, 2010

Disconnected

Last night in the midst of composing my post the whole of my electronic connections shut down.  This included tv mid episode of "Work of Art".  Thankfully, I could turn to reading and will finish WoA later today.  Some disconnects are not so easy to correct.  This morning I read of National Geographic warning of an Electromagnetic Pulse Bomb that would virtually STOP the world as we know it. 

Electronically or otherwise, some people are TOTALLY disconnected and worse.  I'm feeling really "Dixie Chickish"; I'm embarrassed that Texas is represented by the likes of Joe Barton.  I'll refrain from nasty name calling but ..... ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

The latest Dallas Quilt Guild newsletter shared a story from the Dallas Morning News that Texas is the #1 state with families at "hunger risk" and the North Texas Food Bank is facing a huge shortfall.  Quilt Country of Lewisville is holding a mini quilt silent auction to help.  Please join me in creating a donation or bid at the auction.  Quilts need to be there by 5:00 pm, July 1st. Check their website, http://quiltcountry.com for auction details.  Since this is a local effort I'm also doing a sale at my etsy shop, http"//etsy.connieakers.com.  I've lowered some prices and will give 15% of sales to Habitat until July 4th. 

1 comment:

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
You could be from South Carolina.....now there's an embarrassment! We can't go a more than a week or two without some elected official doing something so hideous that the state makes national news! We're #1 in infant mortality and women who are violently killed at the hands of their significant other. We're either #49 or #50 in "little things" like literacy and percentage of students who manage to graduate from high school. Later today, only about three blocks away from my house, is a memorial service marking the 10th anniversary of the Confederate Flag being removed from our State House dome. I think they'll be firing the civil war cannons and everything. This means, of course, there will be some sort of protest with hate signs. The last time the cannons went off the ground literally shook. Meanwhile, we're all trying to figure out exactly how a convicted child molester managed to win an election and there's a mysterious petroleum spill in the river that runs right through town. Our food banks are almost always in a state of peril. My solution....I give blood whenever I'm eligible. I vote...AND KNOW WHO I'M VOTING FOR! I'm going to my studio to make something beautiful and avoid the nastiness of trying to stir up racial hatred. Your quilts and berries and family are the best way to say something positive. Thank you for showing such lovely things. Thank you for providing some of these treasures to me.
Susan